Combofix review – remove current malware from your PC
Combofix is a powerful spyware and malware removal program designed by sUBs from the bleeping computer forums to clean-up infected PCs automatically. This specialized effective tool can clean even the most heavily infected computers by removing a large amount of the most common and current malware. It also creates a comprehensive report which trained helpers can use to remove infections that are not automatically removed. Basically, the software is intended for users with advanced computer skills to run it only when a regular antivirus cannot function, update, or detect certain malware. Beginners and even intermediate users may have a difficult time using the application, and improper use of the software can cause system failure. It’s therefore an imperative idea to run this program with the help of an experienced helper.
Combofix Capabilities and Integrated effectiveness
- Integrates NirCmd, a command line tool which allows users to delete up to 8 files at a time.
- Unhooks any .dll file in the system32 folder.
- It is run on systems where few anti-malware and anti-spy programs can run because the malware will delete them.
How Combofix Works
Just like most anti-malware softwares, this cleaning tool scans your entire system for threats, including more notable areas such as the system root files and registry, locations where most common malware hide. A typical scan often takes less than 10 minutes to complete. Nevertheless, heavily infected computers can take up to an hour or more. What makes Combofix a unique program is its deep scanning capacity, ability to run in a low-level system command line, and vast malware database which typically allows it to easily detect almost any kind of malware threats.
How to Run Combofix Safely
Due to the power of this tool, you’re strongly advised not to run the program unless you are well versed in computers or you are specifically asked to by someone who has been properly trained. Besides that, you should not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by Combofix without supervision from a helper.
When you run the program, it automatically delete files from three locations: recycle bin, temporary internet files, and temp folder. If you store important files in these temporary storage locations, be sure to backup the files before you run the program. It is also very important to use only backup files to prevent the possibility of re-infection in cases of emergency. Since it does not completely delete your files, if you feel the files removed should be restored you can use a data restore program to retrieve them.
The program also blocks your internet connection while it operates even when using a proxy-based anonymizer.
Using Combofix to clean your PC
Here are the basic steps to follow:
- Download Combofix. When it has finished downloading you’ll see an icon on the desktop.
- Make sure you disable all anti-virus and anti-spyware real-time protection as there is a possibility of conflict which may produce false positives. Also, keep in mind that once you start Combofix you’re not supposed to click anywhere on the Combofix window because it can cause the program to stop. In fact, you should not touch your computer at all when running the application. The scan might take a while, so you need to be patient.
- Double click to install Combofix.
- Follow the steps and instructions given by Combofix in order to initiate scan and auto-clean any malware that is present.
- When Combofix has finished running, it will display the log file automatically. Go through the malware infection report generated and manually report any malware missed by the auto-clean process. You can find the report log at c:\ComboFix.txt
- Combofix download is free
- Useful compared to other malware and spyware removers in the world.
- Cleans up even the most heavily infected PC’s.
- In-depth malware definition database.
- Generates a very detailed malware infection report.
- Ability to initiate scans in safe mode or command line environment.
- Allows users to delete malware manually if auto-removal fails.
- Combofix is updated frequently in order to stay on top of new security threats.
- Fewer false positives than commercial applications
- Not compatible with Windows 8.1 and 2010.
- Not user friendly as it is a very unsafe program when in the wrong hands.
- It can lead to catastrophic system failure if instructions are not carefully followed.
- Unlike anti-malware applications like Ad-Aware or SpyHunter, it has a bare-bones user-interface.
- Does require confirmation before deleting files.
Combofix is a great application to supplement standard system cleaners and keep your computer running smoothly. It can perform an in-depth scan on your entire system and locate malware deeply rooted in Windows PCs. The program can detect and eliminate almost any kind of computer infections. Also, it’s free and works well; nevertheless, it is recommended to be used in the presence of a well trained professional for best results.